Welcome

Thanks for checking out the New West KnifeWorks blog. Please stop by frequently to read about the knife life and mountain adventures that guide the New West KnifeWorks culture. We think you will love our knives even more once you see how much we love using them and how we spend our spare time.

Want to be the first to know about contests, media reviews and know even more about these knives? Visit and join our Facebook Fan Page.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Farmers Market, Bay Area Style

Last weekend I went back to the Bay Area for my grandmother's 90th birthday. Let me tell you, 90 is old, but I hope when I am 90-years-old I have her life of living independently with my husband, dog and garden. Then I want to celebrate the big 9-0 surrounded by close friends and family- this is exactly what happened last weekend.

Every time I return to San Francisco for a visit, it is nothing short of an eating marathon. Much amazing food was consumed including from Whole Foods, a Falafel sandwich, high-end Peruvian food (with the most amazing Sangria I have ever tasted- and I lived in Spain for six months), crepes and Zachary's pizza (I was raised on this pizza, it is the best pizza on the planet- read about it on Yelp). Anyway, one of the perks of the trip was going to one of the many Sunday farmers' markets. This particular one was the Montclair Village Farmers' Market. This is one of the smaller markets around, but it was jam packed with yummies that would be rare to find in a square state's farmers' market. Here are some highlights:

German Bakery


Peaches as far as the eye can see.


Tomatos.
Enough said for those of you, like us, who live where it snows in late June and have an insanely hard frost on September 7.


Beautiful salad mix.


Squash galore.


Giant fruit and veggies down every aisle, you know the kind of goodness that it takes three months or more to grow.

They also had fresh seafood stands, but since I got there right when it opened the fishy goodness was not out yet. I also really enjoyed all the ethnic food prepared on sight to munch on while shopping. Those of you that are still unsure about this small market, you can read about this place on Yelp.

Bottom line, where ever you are take time to check out the local farmers' market, you won't be disappointed. And if you are in the Bay Area go to Zachary's.

by Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment